Monday, November 16, 2009

My female zebra finch has lost all feathers on neck and has a growth-looks like seeds under skin. thanks?

my bird lives with 2 males that occassionally pluck her feathers but recently more than usual are missing. Last week she sat through a malfunctioning fire alarm for hours that must have been stressful-we were gone. The growth looks like a little sack filled with seeds. She is alert and seems normal she just looks awful. Thanks for any help you can give.

My female zebra finch has lost all feathers on neck and has a growth-looks like seeds under skin. thanks?
That sounds like it might just be her crop..? Which is a normal part of bird anatomy.





Separate her from the males for now, they can't keep picking on her like that and she needs time to heal. You can still have her nearby so that they can communicate.
Reply:That is her crop %26amp; it's a sign of a well fed, happy bird when it's full of seed!!!! :)


1 comment:

  1. I am new to owning finches. But I recently became alarmed when one of my female finches started to lose her feathers around her neck, on her head, and on her back. She was in a cage with another female and a male. I was worried she was dying since I hadn't noticed the other two picking on her. Recently however I saw them attack her when she tried to fly into the nest, so I removed her from the cage and put her in a new one. I too noticed the weird growths on her neck and freaked out, but thanks to this post I'm no longer worried about that. I am wondering however how long does it take for her feathers to grow back? And should I purchase another male for her? Will she get lonely? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete