Monday, November 16, 2009

What is a growth of skin on the Eardrum? and Is it a Problem?

I have been to the ENT several times. I had tubes in my ears and they have fallen out. I had a hole in my eardrum for a while but now have a growth of some sort. In a different spot on my eardrum. I often have pain in the ear but no infection and when I do have an infection I cant always tell. My ear often feels plugged. He also says I have an eustation tube disfunction and has me on allegra D.

What is a growth of skin on the Eardrum? and Is it a Problem?
Eustation tube is in the middle ear, keeps the air pressure equal to the pressure outside, so if this is not working it is know as dysfunction. The abnormal skin growth could be why the eustation tube is not working properly. As Cholesteatoma is a repeated ear infection that can weaken the eardrum. When the tube that equalizes pressure in the ear (eustachian tube) functions poorly due to a cold or allergy, a vacuum can occur in the middle ear. This vacuum sucks areas of the eardrum weakened by infection, causing a pouch or abnormal growth of skin behind the eardrum. This is actually ingrowth of the skin of the eardrum itself, and often it develops into a cyst. This may or may not be you, so a second opinion is always valuable.


No comments:

Post a Comment